Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Dining rooms and Translations...


I don't think I've showed you photos of our dining room yet. I have a few reasons for that: it's my least favorite room right now, and it needs some serious help. 

I played around on Polyvore last night with some of the changes I'd like to incorporate in our dining room. I started with the curtains; I love them, and they're on sale right now! 

We already have the buffet, chandelier, a similar rug and white lamps. I basically want new dining room furniture and curtains. I've wanted the CB2 table forEVER. It's super affordable too. Luckily my in-laws are letting us use their previous set until we buy something on our own. UNluckily, the movers scratched the crap out of it, and it's already become quite the pain interacting with them to get it fixed. I have a feeling it's going to be a long, annoying process, which means I'm likely stuck with a scratched up table for quite some time, and once it's finally fixed I'm going to feel guilty about moving it to storage to replace it with something else.

If I could do the whole "nose crinkle" genie thing, here's what I'd wiggle out for our current dining room:

Dining Room



That's what I've dreamt up for today. It is truly a dream; the voice of reason (Mr. Frankel) has spoken: "we have no money. none."  I used to believe my husband when he said this (he says it all the time), and I'd get scared thinking that somehow our savings had vanished or we were suddenly in debt or something. Two years into marriage I've learned to translate husband speak. Now I realize that what he's really saying is, "We're not spending money right now, so don't even think about it. Wait three months or so after we've saved money and I feel good about things and then bring up your silly purchase ideas again and I'll probably say 'go for it'". 

Learning to translate husband-speak is a VERY important skill to acquire. I've become quite good at it, so if you ever need help, let me know. I'm more fluent in husband-speak than I am after taking three years of French. Go figure. 

Wife speak, I've come to realize, is much more difficult to translate. For example, when I say, "I've picked up three pairs of your socks today- all scattered throughout the house," it seems to translate to, "I very much enjoy following you around the house and cleaning up after you as you systematically undress yourself..."  I'm not sure how to correct this, but something is getting lost in translation... 



1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...