I've received a few comments/emails suggesting that I do a post with tips on how to find items on Craigslist. I'm not sure this post will be much help, but I'm at least going to try! I spent some time thinking about how I go about searching for items on Craigslist, and I've come up with a list of "best practices". Here goes:
1. Be organized and consistent. Have a list of items you are looking for. Search for these items everyday (at least once a day). My list includes:
-Cane (as in cane chair)
-Mid Century Modern
-Secretary (as in desk)
-Cart (as in bar/serving cart)
2. This goes along with #1: Be as "generic" with your searches as possible. The more basic your searches are, the more you'll find. The tradeoff to this is that you'll have to invest more time.
3. Remember, it's Craigslist. When I first started using Craigslist I ended up very frustrated because I would search for things like "faux bamboo brass bar cart" or "vintage campaign dresser" and find NOTHING. When you stop and think about it though, the majority of people don't know exactly what they're selling or how to describe it. When I started simplifying my searches (i.e. LAYMAN'S TERMS), I was shocked with everything I found.
4. Email the person right away to see if the items are available (before you get really excited); ask for measurements if they're not listed already with the item description.
5. Be patient!!!
6. You can always narrow your search by "furniture" or other categories. I never do though, but I always search items that have pictures with them.
When I searched the items on my list here's what I came up with:
Let me know if I missed anything that I should add to my list! I hope you found this semi-helpful!!